Sonnax Smart Shell Kit:
The Sonnax Smart Shell is a great reaction sun shell upgrade for the 700R4/4L60. It also fits the 4L60E, 4L65E, & 4L70E. Read on to learn why you should consider this upgraded part. Make an informed decision…
Transmission Issues Caused by OEM/Stock Shell:
The OEM/stock reaction sun shell used by GM(700R4/4L60E, etc) has its shortcomings which result in numerous transmission issues.
- Rear planetary carrier bearing failure.
- No reverse.
- No 2nd gear.
- No 4th gear.
OEM/Stock Shell Weaknesses:
- Splines can strip out.
- The hub, that houses the splines, can break away from the rest of the sun shell.
- The thrust loads placed on the shell are transferred to the rear planetary carrier needle bearing…causing premature bearing failure.
The Sonnax Smart Shell addresses all of these common issues. In addition to preventing these issues, the Smart Shell can handle more power than the stock shell it replaces. This is a great upgrade for hot rods, race applications, etc. Regardless of the application(grocery-getter or race car), it’s a “smart” upgrade…
- Thicker shell material.
- Heat-treated splines and hub.
- Redesigned to accommodate the use of a Torrington needle bearing.
- This needle bearing is larger than the one in the rear planetary carrier.
- The new design places most of the thrust load on the new/improved bearing…reducing the stress on the other bearing in the rear carrier.
This product fits the following transmissions:
- 700R4: ’82-’92.
- 4L60: ’82-’92.
- 4L60E: ’93-99.
- 4L60E: ’00-up.